Monday, March 16, 2009

Reversal of Roles

So this is the way it goes---Mom worked so hard at raising 2 children--my brother and myself. My dad was rarely home, working a job that required 6 days a week for 12 hour days. She was the rock of our life, and now that person no longer exists.

Mom is now 84 and suffers from macular degeneration and the early stages of dementia, but insists on living alone, while she's managing. Her notion of managing is not the same as mine--she believes that she is safe and taking care of her affairs, whilst I know the truth--she should not live alone any longer, and is barely getting by, with me ordering groceries, taking care of the bills and paperwork and saying daily prayers for her safety.

Not that I am angry about helping her, because I'm not, but I am balking at the lack of acceptance for much needed help, and the constant fear I have that she really is in danger and unwilling to accept the truth--more help is needed than I can provide while I live 48 miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment