Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Restless Relatives

I just came home from visiting my mom and uncle--whew!! they were restless and ornery today.
My uncle couldn't stop itching (his usual wintertime dry skin problem that seems to defy medical marvels); his foot kept slipping off the foot piece of his wheelchair; and his food wasn't cut up fast enough my me!! My mother had a whole other list of problems-- she couldn't locate her socks that were buried in the drawer; the window in her room was letting in too much cold air ( it felt wonderful!, but that's just me); she was upset because I threw away too much of the food that was rotting in the bag she carries on her walker; and she was wearing a short sleeve shirt, complaining about the cold, but refused to hear the suggestion of changing to long sleeves.

Wow! I had so much fun that I need to probably drink a gallon of some alcoholic liquid or numb my jangled nerves by vegging in front of the TV for several hours. I really do feel the need to see them, and usually enjoy the connection that I get from those visits, HOWEVER, today was very different-- I was thrilled that one of their friends from the senior center came to visit so I could make a faster than usual exit. For once, I was also happy to have the long ride home so I could calm myself and decompress from the visit with the curmudgeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment